Signs | Review & Score

About: A widowed former reverend living with his children and brother on a Pennsylvania farm finds mysterious crop circles in their fields, which suggests something more frightening to come.

Coming off of my review for THE VILLAGE for its 20th Anniversary, I bring to you.. for its 22nd Anniversary... M. Night Shyamalan's smash hit SIGNS.

Another longtime Shyamalan favorite of mine. Another well crafted, creepy and has that Shyamalan tone to it. Signs deals with many different feelings, it will test you on many different aspects of emotion. From Mel Gibson's performance to Rory Culkin's scene stealing performance, Signs really grabs you and takes you on an emotional rollercoaster ride while also managing to scare you.

Although, I don't think this is Shyamalan's best work, its one of his more effective works. Effective in the way that it tests you on all of those aspects I referred to earlier. I like movies that challenge me and make me think and test me sometimes on how I should feel, going through different mud puddles as you walk. That sounds like a bad thing, but its not. Not even close.

I love the performances, particularly Rory Culkin and Mel Gibson. Abigail Breslin brings a kinetic charm, along with Joaquin Phoenix's use of slight comedicness. Shyamalan crafted a beaut with Signs. The musical score, the story, setting. Shy uses the formula of UFO and makes you fucking FEEL with it. And, yeah, it has one of the most unsettling scenes of all time... but it still makes you fucking FEEL within the process. I love it.

The third act is really well done and the build up is typical Shyamalan style, so if you're a fan of his, you'll enjoy this one through and through. And this is coming off of the success of THE SIXTH SENSE.

Well done once again, Shy. Well done.

3.5/5

Comments

Trending