In A Violent Nature | Review & Score

About: When a locket is removed from a collapsed fire tower in the woods that entombs the rotting corpse of Johnny, a vengeful spirit spurred on by a horrific 60-year old crime, his body is resurrected and becomes hellbent on retrieving it.

"Did Jason Voorhees have a cousin we didn't know about?"

I finally got around to seeing IN A VIOLENT NATURE and it didn't disappoint... much.

I wanna start off by saying, I understand where the mix reviews for this film are coming from. The perspective of the movie will throw off some attention spans. But, in part of the fact that it's still a very original concept - we can look past all of that.

Chris Nash's experimental-like slasher takes place in the middle of the woods, following the perspective of an vengeful monster, within the likes of Jason Voorhees, who seeks out a certain family heirloom. Safe to say an heirloom, right? Maybe just a token of sorts? However you wanna preclaim it... he BIG mad.

When I first saw the trailer to this movie, I was pretty mesmerized by the originality and difference in perspective it is. It's not like any horror or slasher film we've seen.. well ever. We never get horror films from the point of view of the killer in question. We've gotten glimpses before, notably the original Friday the 13th.

It didn't come to a town theater around me, but when I finally sat down and rented In A Violent Nature, I was again... in awe. I loved the point of view, perspective, visuals, acting and villain design. It's very much a love letter to Friday the 13th.

This film also happens to have, in my opinion, the greatest kill scene in any horror film that has ever been produced. No spoilers, but you know exactly the scene I'm referring to if you've seen the movie. It's SO damn good. And it was detailed too... you don't get much of that. WOOF. I loved it.

Overall, the pacing is fair.. considering the perspective. The movie is a cool experience and I'm hooked on knowing more about the lore behind Johnny's character. We need a prequel film to this. It's only right, right? We gotta know more. MORE, I tell ya!

I also want to point out, I loved the choice to do a 4:3 ratio for filming this. It adds a classic vibe to it.

This film could have also worked well, I think, as a found footage film. Could you imagine? WOW.

Again, overall.. In A Violent Nature is fun, gory, gruesome, classy and unique. Props to Chris Nash for giving us a WILD experience and delivering an original project.

...even if the ending wasn't the most informative. Hmm.

3/5

Comments

Trending