Twisters | Review & Score

About: A retired tornado-chaser and meteorologist is persuaded to return to Oklahoma to work with a new team and new technologies.

"You don't face your fears, you ride 'em."

Man, I was fairly excited going into the theater to watch Twisters and I came out...still excited.

This is the kind of movie you definitely want to experience on the big screen. It's pretty massive in terms of visuals, environment and sound. When I first heard they were doing this movie, I was a bit off about it in my mind. Mostly because I'm such a fan of the first movie. But, as the weeks and months lead up to the release, the awesome soundtrack came out and I was seeing all of the traction it was receiving, that's what lead me to believe this was a movie worth checking out on the big screen. And it did not disappoint.

First off, you have tremendous chemistry between the cast, all of them, not just the two main characters. Everyone played a strong part in the story and the director and writers actually put a ton of focus on them all. Yes, you do get more screen time between Glen Powell and Daisy Edgar-Jones' characters, but everyone still felt very important throughout the film.

Secondly, I loved the visual effects and sound mixing of Twisters. It felt like they truly engineered this film to be played only on a large scale. The tornado scenes looked absolutely flawless, clean and smooth. This is definitely the kind of movie that gets made in today's climate of filmmaking. It all makes sense. The sound mixing is top notch and I felt pretty immersed in the movie's pacing and action. It's pretty crisp.

Third, and lastly, the acting and writing. Both the acting and writing of the movie were pretty good. I mean, the movie plays off of what the first movie was and I expected nothing less, really. It's not a bad thing, because, I mean, when you think of a movie called 'Twisters', you know what you're getting yourself into walking into the theater. Not bad things at all. The story was pretty linear and the characters did, somewhat, come off fairly cliche. But...that doesn't take away the fact that I cared about the characters.

Glen Powell has been on a sky rocket of a career boost lately and there's a reason why. He's a pretty charming dude and tends to have nice chemistry with all of his co-stars. Twisters is no different and Powell fits perfectly into the mold of the story. Daisy Edgar-Jones is an extremely talented actress and she took the ball and ran with it here. She's an intelligent, fierce force of nature. From the opening scene, to the final, Jones was the true star and she shined bright in a gloomy atmosphere.

So, with that said, I was excited going in and I was happy coming out. I felt thrilled, immersed, and was thoroughly entertained by the experience of Twisters. It's a very fun movie that was engineered to the core to give us a popcorn infested time at the theater. I love these kinds of movies. I really do. I think you'll dig Twisters and all it has to offer for a fun time.

*tips hat*

4.5/5

Comments

Trending